The sweet and sour Tequila Sunrise evokes a summer sunrise! Its colors resemble a paradisiacal sunrise and it’s only made with three ingredients.
The Tequila Sunrise was created in the 1960s by Bobby Lozoff and Billy Rice in Sausalito, California.
If you’re wondering how do you make a tequila sunrise, here’s everything you need to know:
What is Tequila Sunrise
The tequila sunrise is a cocktail made with tequila, orange juice, and grenadine syrup. It’s usually served unmixed in a tall glass.
What’s the difference between a Tequila Sunrise and a Tequila Sunset?
Tequila Sunrise has the same ingredients as the Tequila Sunset, but with a splash of soda water mixed with grenadine to give the drink a red hue at the top instead of the bottom.
What provides the red color in a Tequila Sunrise?
The red color in a tequila sunrise is Grenadine syrup. This non-alcoholic deep red syrup is made from one-part pomegranate juice to two-parts granulated sugar.
The French term for pomegranate is grenade.
Grenadine syrup is so thick that when poured into a class, it sinks to the bottom and slowly rises up, just like a sunrise. In a tequila sunrise cocktail, it gives an extra boost of sweetness and bright color.
Good Grenadine Syrup substitutes are Pomegranate Molasses, Raspberry Syrup, or Cranberry Juice Cocktail Concentrate.
The best type of tequila for Tequila Sunrise
Blanco or Silver are the best types of tequila used for Tequila Sunrise.
How to make Tequila Sunrise
- 1 shot of tequila
- 1/8 fresh orange, squeezed
- 1/4 fresh lime, squeezed
- Grenadine syrup or red cordial
- A slice of orange for garnish
- To make a tequila sunrise, first, pour ice cubes into the glass, then add tequila.
- Add the orange juice (you can use the supermarket ready-made one but the ideal would be to squeeze an orange, filter the juice and add it to tequila).
- Mix with a spoon and finally pour the grenadine – It’s important to avoid stirring the drink after adding the grenadine so it won’t mix with the juice.
- Garnish with a candied cherry and a slice of orange on the edge of the glass.
- Your tequila sunrise is ready to be enjoyed in all its freshness.