If you’re wondering who owns Patron Tequila, you’ve come to the right place! It is one of the world’s most successful premium tequila companies and every tequila fan has probably heard of Patron.
In 1989, John Paul DeJoria, (also the co-founder of Paul Mitchell Hair Products) asked his friend Martin Crowley – an architect who’d gone to Mexico to do some work, to bring some tequila. Crowley found a hand-blown bottle and ended up pitching John Paul DeJoria on starting their own Tequila company.
The company began refining a smooth tequila even further into a spirit you could drink by itself, much like a great whiskey and changed its public perception. Patrón was almost an immediate hit and began seeing profitability within months of producing it’s first 12,000 bottles.
These days a bottle of Patrón is found in more than 100 countries! Here’s everything you need to know about this international brand.
Facts about Patron
- Patrón means big boss.
- It takes 60 hands to creates Patrón tequila from beginning to end.
- Patron Tequila uses Algerian font and black or white color for its wordmark.
- The bee on the logo is actually a hornet and may have military origins as Patron’s labeling was designed by the brand’s co-founder, Martin Crowley, who served in the Navy on the massive USS Hornet aircraft carrier.
- The Patrón bottle is made of mostly recycled glass in Mexico. The corks, however, are made in Portugal.
- Each bottle of real Mexican tequila features a four-digit code called the NOM (Norma Oficial Mexicana), which indicates the distillery in which it was made. Patrón’s is 1492; that’s why you can find that number on every bottle.
- The brand’s Hacienda Patrón in Jalisco is environmentally friendly using recycled water in its gardens and composting unused agave.
- Francisco Alcaraz, the brand’s master distiller, has been with the brand from the beginning.
- The original tequila was made of 100 percent Weber blue agave using the tahona process, where agave fibers are slowly crushed by a large volcanic stone wheel, and then the juice, fermented and distilled with the fiber.
- Nowadays, jimadores (agave farmers) still use coa knives (which resemble a shovel) to cut open the agave plant and remove the piña, the heart of the plant.
Who owns Patron
Patron is owned by Bacardi Ltd. This privately held company has a world-class portfolio of more than 200 brands and labels, including Bacardi Rum, Grey Goose Vodka, Bombay Sapphire Gin, Martini vermouths, and sparkling wines, Dewar’s Scotch whisky, and Patron tequila.
The co-founder of Patron Spirits International John Paul Dejoria sold his 70 percent stake in the tequila business to Bacardi Limited in a $5.1 billion deal, according to Forbes, in 2018.
Is Patron a good Tequila
What kind of liquor is Patron?
Patron is Tequila – an alcoholic spirit made from 100% blue agave.
What is Patron made of
Patron is made of 100% agave Blue Weber Agave. a recipe developed in an era drowning in “mixto” tequila (essentially cheap swill produced by mixing distilled agave with up to 49 percent rough, flavorless firewater that can be made from any old starch you like).
The agave piñas are harvested at around eight years of growth and sent to the nearby Hacienda Patrón distillery to begin the process of making tequila.
A rare thing in modern tequila production is the use of the tahona wheel and Patrón is one of the few distilleries that continue to employ this traditional method of crushing the baked agave. They do also use modern roller methods. It is the job of the master distiller to combine the two to make the recipe for Patrón.
Patrón Peach Sangria
A celebratory sangria that’s fruity and full of fresh flavor for any summer entertaining occasion!
- 120 ml Patrón Silver
- 60 ml Peach liqueur
- 750 ml Dry rosé
- 60 ml Agave nectar
- 2 Fresh peaches, pitted and cut in eighths
- 90 ml (About 1/2 cup) fresh blueberries
- 1 lime, quartered
- Combine all ingredients into a pitcher and let macerate for 8 to 24 hours.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 1g
Tour the Patrón Distellery
You can see the tahona wheel in action for yourself because Patrón created a 3D omnidirectional virtual reality experience touring its distillery. It can be viewed on desktop or mobile, but for the best effect, try it in a VR experience.
The tour, shot from the point of view of the company’s bee mascot, travels from out in the field, through the distillation process, and straight on to the final product as you enjoy it. You get to experience every stage of Patrón from start to finish.